Country ham au gratin bake
Servings 12 People
- 2 Cups Ham Cubed, No sugar added
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded Sharp
- 4 Tbsp Butter Cubed and Divided
- 1/4 Cup Onion We recommend Green. Onions. Finely diced
- 1 Tbsp Thyme Fresh if possible and Minced
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese Softened *We use Philadelphia Brand because its low in carbs
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp All Purpose Seasoning We used Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute
- 4 Cups Turnips Sliced thinly about 4 to 6 small/medium turnips)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Sauté ham in 2 TB of the butter....add chopped onion of choice and fresh thyme( dried may be used, but fresh is recommended) Sauté until onion is translucent.
In a separate saucepan warm softened cream cheese and heavy cream, stirring often until well combined and creamy. Add 1 cup of the cheese, whisking to combine and smooth.
In a 9x13 inch greased baking dish layer half your prepared turnips, sprinkle with half the ham/onion herb mixture....spread one half of your cheese sauce evenly over the top. Dot with one TB of the remaining butter.
Repeat for second layer, ending with dotted butter on top.
Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
Remove foil and bake and continue baking for 45 minutes.
Turn off heat...add remaining cheese and place back in warm oven to melt.
Let rest 15 before serving.
3 Net Carbs per serving
**All nutrition information is approximate. Please read and use your own labels for more precise information. We spend a lot of time trying to calculate accurate nutritional information however it is not an exact science.**
Serving: 207g | Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 711mg | Potassium: 202mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Vitamin C: 10.3mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 0.6mg