Keto Country Ham Au Gratin Bake
HELLO CJSKETOKITCHEN FAM! This week we bring you another delicious recipe. This weeks recipe is a Keto Country Ham Au Gratin Bake. This recipe is part of our special set of recipes for Easter. This would be a great way to add Au Gratin faux-tatoes to your Easter dinner, or use it was your left over Easter ham.
So before you get all crazy because you think these are potatoes, calm down and relax. We are well aware that potatoes are a high carb food, and I assure you that no potatoes were harmed while making this delicious dish. We substituted the traditional potatoes with turnips, yes turnips! And they this dish has the same taste and consistency of au gratin potatoes. I took this dish to my office and gave some to a co-worker Lindsay who is sorta kinda Keto, but mostly low carb. I told her that I’d quit Keto only as a joke and told her that I was eating these scalloped potatoes- she was shocked. I gave her some for lunch, and she was totally fooled; although she knew that I wouldn’t just quit keto. She gave some to another coworker who is not on Keto but doing Weight Watchers and she was fooled as well. Lindsay raved about how delicious the dish was and was shocked when I revealed that she was eating turnips.
Health Benefits of Turnips from Mercola.com
Turnip root is a great source of minerals, antioxidants and dietary fiber. It is also a low-calorie vegetable — a 100-gram serving has only 28 calories. Surprisingly, it’s also loaded with immune-boosting vitamin C, with 21 milligrams per 100-gram serving.14 Vitamin C is essential to your body for collagen synthesis, as well as for scavenging free radicals, which may cause cancer and inflammation-related diseases.15
Turnip greens are rich in free radical-scavenging antioxidants too, such as vitamin A, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene. Plus, they’re a source of vitamin K, a direct regulator of the inflammatory response, and omega-3 fatty acids, which are the building blocks for your body’s anti-inflammatory molecules.16,17,18
The leafy green tops also contain folate, calcium, potassium and magnesium, as well as trace amounts of riboflavin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, thiamin, copper, manganese and iron. They also have phytonutrients like quercetin and kaempferol,19 which may help lower your risk of oxidative stress.
My parent’s (CJ’s) are from the south (Georgia and Alabama) and I grew up in Washington D.C. But as a child turnips and turnip greens were a staple in household especially in the summer. We’d grow a urban garden and plant both collards and turnip greens, I have very fond memories of eating boiled turnips with turnip greens.
This is one of those recipes that requires when reheated that you really get it hot, to get the cheeses and other spices activated. I only tasted the turnip flavor very slightly after it was first cooked and on one piece that was cold.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Country ham au gratin bake
- 2 Cups Ham Cubed, No sugar added
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded Sharp
- 4 Tbsp Butter Cubed and Divided
- 1/4 Cup Onion We recommend Green. Onions. Finely diced
- 1 Tbsp Thyme Fresh if possible and Minced
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese Softened *We use Philadelphia Brand because its low in carbs
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp All Purpose Seasoning We used Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute
- 4 Cups Turnips Sliced thinly about 4 to 6 small/medium turnips)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sauté ham in 2 TB of the butter....add chopped onion of choice and fresh thyme( dried may be used, but fresh is recommended) Sauté until onion is translucent.
- In a separate saucepan warm softened cream cheese and heavy cream, stirring often until well combined and creamy. Add 1 cup of the cheese, whisking to combine and smooth.
- In a 9x13 inch greased baking dish layer half your prepared turnips, sprinkle with half the ham/onion herb mixture....spread one half of your cheese sauce evenly over the top. Dot with one TB of the remaining butter.
- Repeat for second layer, ending with dotted butter on top.
- Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake and continue baking for 45 minutes.
- Turn off heat...add remaining cheese and place back in warm oven to melt.
- Let rest 15 before serving.
CJSKETOKITCHEN OLD RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
This is a new section that hopefully we can begin doing every week. This will be a section where we highlight older recipes from YouTube and here on the blog. This weeks recipe is Keto Tuna Casserole.
HANDY KITCHEN ITEMS
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.