Keto Tuna Casserole
This week we bring you a ketofied version of the Grand Daddy of all Casseroles the Tuna Casserole, but of course we made it Keto and Low Carb safe.
So the Tuna Casserole has been around since the 1930, and it looks like it may have originated from our neck of the woods, the Pacific Northwest. Although it quickly migrated across the country and then became really associated with the Mid-West. Casseroles became popular in the U.S. in the 1950 because they were easy to make with generally household ingredients that were easy to find and inexpensive.
I personally don’t recall having Tuna Casserole growing up in Washington D.C., but Sarah remembers it well from her childhood in Idaho.
In our version we substitute the high-carb ingredients such as potato chips for the topping, or even bread crumbs. We also left out the traditional egg noodles, and cream of mushroom or celery soups. Our version instead uses whole food ingredients from has Heavy cream, Zucchini noodles, albacore tuna packed in water, and shredded cheese.
Casseroles normally taste better has they set, and this one was no different. We probably got 8 – 10 servings from this dish and of course that depends on how big your servings are.
This is another one of those dishes that you could probably get the whole family to enjoy, and it was pretty easy to make for a week night. We hope that you enjoy it.
HERE IS AN INTERESTING ARTICLE ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE TUNA CASSEROLE
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Tuna Casserole
Main Casserole Ingredients
- 6 Zucchini Spiralized
- 2 Cans Albacore Tuna Drainged
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Onion Finely chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks Finely chopped
- 4 Oz Mushrooms Finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/3 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 4 Oz Cheddar cheese Shredded
Keto Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 4 Oz Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter Melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spiralize and sweat your zucchini for 30 minutes (demo in video). After 30 minutes wring well to dry.
- Sauté onions, celery and mushrooms using 2 tbsp of butter untitled softened. Set aside.
- Combine sour cream and mayo. Season to taste and mix well.
- Add flaked drained tuna into sour cream and mayo mixture and incorporate well. Pour tuna sauce mixture over your zucchini in a 9x13 Casserole dish.
- Add your sautéed vegetables. Combine well.
- Add in your 4 oz of Shredded Cheddar cheese and stir well to incorporate.
Keto Bread Crumbs
- In separate bowl add 1/2 cup of blanched almond flour, and 4 oz. of grated Parmesan cheese and mix together well. Breaking up all of the clumps in the flour.
- Add 2 tbsp of melted butter to your flour and cheese mixture and mix well. As you mix this will form a crumble.
- Sprinkle your keto breadcrumbs over the top of your casserole.
- Bake for 30 - 45 minutes (check often). Bake until golden brown.
- Optional Step: After your Tuna Casserole is baked through, broil the top of the casserole for 1 - 2 minutes to make your bread crumbs golden brown.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Servings: 10
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 25g
- Carbs: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- NET CARBS: 2g
- Protein: 16g
HANDY KITCHEN ITEMS
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.