Hi, Welcome to the CjsKetoKitchen.com Simplified Guide on How to Start the Keto Diet. This information is best used in conjunction with the attached YouTube video about the same subject, they both hand and hand. My fiancé Sarah and I are huge supporters of the Keto Diet and Keto lifestyle, it has changed our lives and given us back our health. We run a growing YouTube channel called Cjsketokitchen.com along with this blog of the same name. We publish new keto recipes every Sunday, and on YouTube do a segment on Wednesdays about keto related lifestyle topics. We live Keto 365, 24/7 no exceptions. Hopefully this information will help you as you start your Keto journey–Keto Works!
Here is the companion YouTube video. Consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
What is the Keto Diet?
The Keto Diet is a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet. By following the ketogenic diet you will force your body to switch from using glucose which is coming from mainly a high carbohydrate and sugar based diet, to burning fat (your fat) as your bodies source of energy.
Here Are Some Basic Keto Guidelines:
- Consume no more than 20 grams of Net Carbs per day. Net carbs = Total Carbs – Fiber. This gives you the “net carbs” of a food.
- Consume adequate amounts of protein: Generally a good rule of thumb is to consume 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of your lean body mass.
- Eat Fat (Good Fats) to Satiety (when you feel full).
- Saturated fats from animal sources such as butter, lard, tallow, drippings, coconut oils, MCT oils, avocado and olives
- It’s best to avoid inflammatory oils such as soybean, vegetable oils, canola oils
- Drink lots of water + increase your salt intake when starting keto.
Tips: Some people when they begin keto track their food macros. Macros is a term used to describe or classify the various nutrients that make up our food such as calories, carbohydrates, proteins, fat, fiber, vitamins…
There are numerous Keto calculators available. These free tools will allow you to plug in some basic personal information such as: age, weight, desired weight, activity level, etc. and they will help calculate the amounts of carbs, fat and proteins you need to eat daily on keto to lose weight, these tools can be very helpful when first starting the keto diet.
Here are some links:
Keto Connect Keto Calculator: https://www.ketoconnect.net/calculator/
Ruled.me Ketogenic Calculator: https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator
Keto “Go to Foods” List
These are foods that we call our “go to Keto foods!” Meaning that they are quick and handy to have around and can be used to help you easily start and have success on Keto (these are in no particular order of importance).
- Rotisserie Chicken – Easy, already cooked and loaded with fat
- Pepperoni – Another handy keto safe food, but watch for hidden carbs – Read the labels!
- Cheese (hard cheeses such as cheddar have fewer carbs)
- Eggs – Boiled, scrambled, fried, lots of combos – we love deviled eggs and love our Dash egg cooker.
- Riced cauliflower
- Frozen shrimp
- Deli meats
- Bacon (the real stuff not turkey) Don’t run from FAT!
- Bacon crumbles – Quick and easy, we get our from Costco
- Pork Rinds – Read the labels
- Low carb nuts – Almonds, pecans, peanuts. Be extra careful with nuts, you can quickly overdo it and your carbs will creep up!
- Cream Cheese – Read the labels, many lower price store brands have unnecessary carbs.
- Whips – Parmesan cheese crackers
- Coconut Oil
- MCT Oil
- Almond flour
- Heavy Cream
- Ground Beef
- Port Chops – bone in seem to have more fat.
- Full fat mayonnaise
- Low sugar ketchup
- Blue cheese dressing
Super Lazy Keto Meals
Here is a list of super simple keto meals you can make. We have a keto food channel and blog but most nights we keep our keto pretty simple.
- Bacon and eggs – for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Bunless cheese burgers
- Taco salad or taco boats using lettuce leaves
- Rotisserie chicken and salad
- Chicken or tuna salad
- Pork chops with a salad or low carb veggies
- Chicken wings
- Hot dogs or sausages *
- hot dogs and sausage watch for carbs and sugars
- Zoodles with ground beef and Alfredo sauce
Keto Suggested Reading List
Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide To the Benefits of a Low Carb, High Fat Diet by Jimmy Moore with Eric Westman = https://amzn.to/2Ph1ALX
The Keto Diet by Leanne Vogel = https://amzn.to/2PfHrWt
Keto Made Easy by Megha and Matt GaedKe (these are the Folks from KetoConnect) = https://amzn.to/2LyCjus
Get a downloadable version of this information (Click Below).
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN STARTING THE KETO DIET, AND FIND YOURSELF CONFUSED BY ALL OF THE INFORMATION OUT THERE!?
Some of the best information on starting the Keto Diet can be found at a site called Ruled.me. This site has lots of free information, but if you want a step by step plan I would suggest the Keto Academy Package. Here is some information on what you’ll receive. Consider using our affiliate link (just above) if interested in purchasing — thank you.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.