This weeks recipe is a Keto Cabbage Roll Casserole, just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. This a delicious keto low carb tribute to a classic Irish dish. This is actually a converted recipe that we’ve made Keto, originally from the folks over at Taste of Home magazine. We’ve totally ketofied it and made it a delicious melding of flavors with the cabbage and sweet and sour combination. This is another one of those dishes that actually taste better the next day as is the case with lots of casseroles.
So with this casserole you get a lot of the cabbage roll flavors but with a lot less fuss, this dish would also work will for meal keto meal prepping. It delivers 10-12 servings. It reheats well, although with most dishes here at CjsKetoKitchen we aren’t sure about how it freezes because they never last that long.
We saved a bit of time using chopped cabbage that was prepackaged, versus chopping a head of cabbage. Either way will work, but the chopped cabbage is a lot less hassle. Make sure you don’t get a Cole slaw type cabbage mix with the chopped carrots just because of the carbs in the carrots. It seems like we used a lot of cabbage in the recipe (15 ounces or 1 1/2 bags of cabbage (10 oz bags) but when the dished in baked the cabbage really shrinks down.
The sweet and sour sauce is a combination of apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce and NO SUGAR ADDED ketchup; you probably could substitute the No Sugar ketchup with a squirt (or two) of Stevia. You could spice this up a bit by adding some red pepper flakes for a little more zing. All in all we enjoyed this dish and hope you do as well.
Let’s talk about tomato based pasta/spaghetti/marinara sauces–yes, these sauces are generally higher in carbs, and you need to make good choices. This casserole should yield 10-12 servings and the macros are spread out across 10-12 servings. Also if you are concerned about sugar which we are as well, any tomato based sauce will have some sugar, keep in mind that tomatoes are a fruit and naturally have fructose, the trick to find a sauce that has minimal added sugar. Ultimately you’ve got to manage your macros to fit your keto lifestyle.
If you make the dish please let us know and take a photo and add to the recipe on Pinterest.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Low Carb Keto Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tbsp onion chopped
- 15 oz Tomato Sauce 15 ounces each tomato sauce, divided
- 1 tsp paprika or similar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp low sugar ketchup 2 Squirts
- 4 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- 15 ounces cabbage 15 oz, shredded/ or bagged
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Drain....add heated bacon and onion.
- Stir in one can of tomato sauce and seasonings.
- In a 9x13 inch greased casserole dish, place half of your cabbage....layer half of your meat mixture evenly over the top of cabbage layer....
- next more cabbage, then the rest of the meat mixture.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- In a separate sauce pan, combine remaining tomato sauce with apple cider, vinegar, and 2 squirts of "NO SUGAR ADDED" ketchup. Combine ingredients together and mix well.
- Pour your sweet and sauce evenly over your casserole.
- Cover your dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
- After 40 minutes remove from oven and uncover. Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- For a browned top, broil for 1 - 2 minutes (watch closely!)
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
CJSKETOKITCHEN OLD RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
This is a new section that hopefully we can begin doing every week. This will be a section where we highlight older recipes from YouTube and here on the blog. This weeks recipe is Keto Arroz Con Pollo.
This dish was inspired by the classic latin dish Arroz Con Pollo which means Rice (Arroz) with Chicken (Pollo) but since rice isn’t keto friendly we modified the dish using riced cauliflower.
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.