Chicken carbonara is a creamy and indulgent dish… Traditionally made with egg yolks and lots of cream, this recipe can easily be altered to become a staple comfort food for your whole family. I promise you you won’t miss the pasta!
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it can be done in under half an hour, but when you’re finished it will look like you slaved over the stove for a really long time.
This recipe would also be delightful with rotisserie chicken to save a few extra steps.
Traditionally carbonara is made with egg yolks, pancetta, Romano cheese and pasta of course… But this recipe is a take on the original. What’s great is that you can use chicken instead of the traditional Italian pasta. This means that you’re utilizing healthy protein, instead of glucose laden ingredients.
This recipe may not be a traditional carbonara, but this creamy carbonara chicken will still be a rich and delightfully satisfying dinner.… As a side note you could serve this to your carb loving family with their favorite pasta, or over rice. Zucchini noodles would be a nice addition if you’d like.
- I used bacon crumbles, which I find super convenient. You can of course use strip bacon. Be sure to reserve some drippings to sauté your other ingredients in.
- What kind of cheese to use? Pecorino Romano is the cheese that is normally used for traditional carbonara. It is a hard, salty Italian cheese, made out of sheep‘s milk. I used Parmesan cheese because it is also a popular choice and since it is more easily accessible.
- I ADORE fresh herbs, and using fresh basil here is really a game changer, but of course dried is fine if that’s all you have access to.
- Just like professional chefs, a fresh squeeze of lemon juice gives a wonderful acidic enhancement to your dish!
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
This recipe was delicious! I’ve never had Chicken Carbonara, and I do know that it normally has pasta. Well pasta, isn’t very carb friendly for the keto lifestyle. This recipe was delicious, it was easy to make and our daughter Izzy loved it, she had seconds and then finished it off the next day. This is definitely going into our rotation of keto foods. Happy New Year! We hope you enjoy it. Post your versions, on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Creamy Chicken Carbonara
- Large Sauce pan or Dutch Oven
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs cubed and cooked(may substitute rotisserie chicken)
- 6 slices crumbled bacon bacon crumbles may substitute ½ cup
- ¼ onion diced finely
- 6 tsp Italian seasonings I used oregano, garlic powder,& 21 seasoning salute
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated parmesan or other hard Italian cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach if using frozen, drain well
- 1 TB basil fresh, chopped if available
- 1.5 TB lemon juice fresh or prepared lemon juice
- Sauté your chicken until brown and tender. In the same skillet or pot, add diced onion and continue cooking until tender and translucent. Add your crumbled bacon.
- Stir in your seasonings, coating well.
- Add chicken broth and heavy cream. Be sure to scrape the delicious bits off the bottom of your pan. Mix in parmesan cheese.
- Add spinach, cover. Lower heat and allow spinach to wilt.
- Before serving, add chopped basil and fresh lemon juice.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.