This weeks recipe is Keto Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake. This is a delicious and easy to make Keto dessert, the entire family will enjoy this. We are making this special for Easter but it could be used for any special occasion or just because. Sarah’s been thinking on this recipe for awhile and she did a fantastic job bringing it to life, we hope you enjoy it!
True to their name, poke cakes are cakes that are baked, and then poked, and then filled with a liquid or syrup to add extra flavor and moisture into each bite. These no- fuss cakes are one of the oldest baking tricks in the book. Yes, they are a bit old-school, but then again so am I. But that’s what makes them so fun. You can put just about anything you can think of into the cake… But because of the lifestyle we lead some of the traditional things are limited.
I have fond memories of these types of cakes from my childhood… I grew up in the 80s, and this was a very popular style of dessert.
I decided to attempt sugar-free jello with natural sweetener instead of aspartame, which is currently what’s available at local grocers. This makes an awesome summer dessert … Not only is it cool and light but it’s topped with a simple whip cream instead of heavy frosting.
What’s so fantastic about this recipe is that you can change out the flavor of Jell-O depending on your mood. Just about any flavor you can think of would be delicious here… The whip cream is so neutral and so is the cake, that your imagination is your only limit.
Most poke cakes start out with a box cake, or a store-bought cake… Because it’s so difficult to find that in a sugar-free version, I’ve tried to make a cake that is simple, yet still flavorful… It takes a couple of extra steps but you won’t be disappointed.
Gelatin in it’s unflavored version, used to be cost prohibitive and difficult to find… But most grocery store brands are now carrying a version that is much less expensive and easier to locate.
While this cake is not overly difficult to make, it will take a while for the Jell-O to set up, it won’t set up like normal gelatin does, but it will take at least a few hours for the gelatin to soak into the cake and cool completely so plan ahead when making this poke cake. We waited 24 hours, but 3 or 4 would probably work.
This poke cake recipe is the perfect dessert to bring to family gatherings, potlucks, and for holidays like the upcoming Easter festivities… Just because we’re currently stuck at home doesn’t mean that we can’t have a little bit of fun. This cake would be a great idea to make with your kids, think of what a great memory it would make!
A couple of notes:
- We used an 8 x 8“ baking dish… But a larger dish such as a 9 x 13“ baking dish would work equally well, and your baking time for your cake would be a bit less.
- The sweetness of your gelatin will vary based on what type of natural sweetener used… Ours could have been a bit sweeter.
- We found that letting the cake sit out and get to room temperature helped increase both the sweetness, and the moisture. So definitely let this come to room temperature, or elsewise you can pop it in the microwave for a couple of seconds before adding your whip cream topping.
- Adding just a pinch of cream of tartar helps your homemade whipped cream stay nicely whipped and remain unseparated for longer in the refrigerator.
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
Sarah has been thinking about this recipe for over a year. She finally decided to give it a try and I think the results were awesome! This cake lasted for several days and we kept it refrigerated. On my initial taste test the slice I was eating was cold and it was good. However, we discovered later that if you warm your slice up 20 seconds in the microwave that the flavors really POP! Heating it up also unlocks the moisture that the added unflavored gelatin adds. It also brings out the vibrance of the colors from the poke syrup mixture. We added whipped cream as we served it, if you were taking this to a function you could probably add the whipped cream layer on top while your waiting to cut it. However, if you are doing a slice at time we strongly suggest adding the whipped cream just before you eat it.
Some of you are very skilled cooks, if you make another version let us see it over on Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget you can share photos or your creations over in the Facebook Group or on Pinterest.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake
Poke Cake Ingredients
- Combine dry cake ingredients. Add and beat eggs one at a time with hand mixer. Slowly add in melted butter while continuing to mix. Add extract. Pour into a greased baking
- I used 8x8....9x13 can be used. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes… Less
time for a 9x13” baking dish. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Combine gelatin, sweetener and kool-aid.....pour boiling water over....whisking well to combine. Add cold water.
- Dock cake (poke holes all over with a fork) add hot mixture evenly over cake.
- Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
Homemade Keto Whipped Cream
Whipping cream topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 TB confectioners natural sweetener
- Extract of choice
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- Beat ingredients together until stiff peaks form.. Top sliced cake with cream before serving.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make Easter Keto Recipe from 2019:
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.