This weeks recipe is Keto Blueberry Crumble bars. This was a recipe inspired by the end of spring and the plentiful amount of fresh berries available as summer comes to an end. These bars are actually great for breakfast or as a snack. Simple to make and delicious.
Delicious and juicy blueberries are abundant in the summer, and I thought using this versatile fruit, before the end of summer was a great idea. I didn’t want something as basic as pie and I also wanted it portable, in case you’re lucky enough to be ending summer with a barbecue or picnic.
The thing about crumble bars is that they are homemade and simple to make and rely more on taste than fancy pastry preparation. So where does this dish come from?
Early colonist were so fond of crumbles and cobblers, that they often served them as the main course, for breakfast, or even as a first course. It was not until the late 19th century that these juicy dishes became primarily desserts.
When it comes to baked fruit-and-pastry desserts, the classic pie isn’t the only game in town. Keto blueberry crumble bars make creating similar, but low carb options easy. These yummy concoctions are a favorite any time of year and can be made with any kind of berry.
And for my fellow food trivia nerds, I have included some fun blueberry facts:
- There are two types of blueberries, highbush and lowbush.
- Highbush blueberries are the types you commonly find at grocery stores and farmers markets.
- Lowbush blueberries are smaller, sweeter blueberries often used for processing into juices, jams, blueberry muffin mixes and so on.
- Ten states grow 98 percent of U.S. blueberries: California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina , Oregon and Washington.
- North American highbush blueberry production has increased by more than 500 million pounds in the past 20 years.
- Peak blueberry season in most of the country runs from mid-June to mid-August. However, Florida blueberries have their peak production season in March and April.
- Blueberries freeze in just 4 minutes.
- One cup of blueberries contains 80 calories, 3.6 grams of fiber and 25 percent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C.
- Blueberries have high levels of antioxidants, such as anthocyanins – the compounds that color blueberries blue.
- Fresh blueberry consumption per person more than doubled between 2007 and 2012, from 0.5 to 1.2 pounds.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Blueberry Crumble Bars
- 7 x 11 or 9 x 9 baking dish
- Parchment Paper
- 1 cup blueberries fresh
- 1/4 cup natural sweetener
- 2 TB water
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large saucepan heat blueberries and water to low boil.
- Cook ten minutes. Slightly mash berries. Remove from heat. Add sweetener, sprinkle evenly with xanthan gum stir well. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients, hand shifting to incorporate ingredients. Add butter and extract and mix to form dough.
- In a 7x11 inch pan, fitted with overlapping parchment paper lightly greased, press down half of crumble mixture. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Spread cooled blueberries onto bottom crust. Top with remaining crumble mixture and lightly press down. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool. Cut into bars and serve.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other Keto recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake.
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.