This weeks recipe is Keto Chocolate Mousse, this is a rich and decadent Keto dessert and no one will know it’s a Keto dessert. Smooth, creamy, rich and delicious this will blow your mind. This dessert is not hard to make, but it does require some finesse, and patience but the finished product is worth it! We hope you enjoy it!
Chocolate mousse is the decidedly decadent, old-school dessert you’ve been overlooking for far too long. And honestly, I get it: Classic chocolate mousse is a little fussy and requires separating eggs, getting melted chocolate to the just right temperature, and lots of careful folding. But…..I’m going to make it a bit easier, and Keto/low carb to boot! This Easy Chocolate Mousse recipe has a few steps…but trust me none are hard at all.
This chocolate mousse is the fastest, fanciest dessert I know, and the results are so creamy, rich, and perfectly sweet that I’m willing to call it the king of chocolate desserts, or at least the queen 🙂
A very good chocolate mousse should be two things: light and airy, and yet deeply rich. Classic mousse generally starts with semi-sweet baking chocolate, but I’ve simplified this by using sugar-free baking chips. I used Lilly’s semi-sweet, but ChocZero also makes a great chip. If you prefer dark chocolate, that should work well here too. As always, here at CJ’s keto kitchen, we stress sweetener be used to your personal tastes. We are all so different in what we consider “sweet”!
A few thoughts:
- A double boiler is really a stainless bowl over simmering water.
- You could do the chocolate melting in the microwave, but I feel the stovetop is really more ideal and controlled. The yolks really require a stovetop preparation.
- Folding is one of those kitchen techniques that isn’t defined enough, so here it is:Folding is essentially mixing together two ingredients without stirring — it’s a motion that feels like equal parts swooping and tucking. A big, flat spatula helps to do a lot of the work for you. Swipe it down under the chocolate, then scoop it up and over the whipped cream as you add it. When folding, don’t stress about getting the mixture perfectly uniform….just look to get out the white streaks.
You can portion chocolate mousse into small dishes or even pretty cocktail glasses and then chill it before serving, which means it’s also an ideal make-ahead dessert for dinner parties, or special occasions.It will be set in as little as an hour, but 3 hours will give you nice, firm mousse, perfect for topping with more whipped cream.
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
This Chocolate Mousse is absolutely delicious and I don’t think people would even realize that it’s a keto/low carb dessert. Seriously it’s just that good! This recipe while not difficult does take patience and finesse, which seems to something that people are lacking these days. I’m always amazed when we eat out how crowded drive thrus are especially during COVID 19, people do not cook anymore I guess and it probably is also why Obesity is such an issue in our country. This mousse only makes 4 servings, but this is very rich so you will be satisfied. This feels like it should be reserved for special occasions, but you really could whip this up fairly easy and serve for guest. It did well in the refrigerator for a couple of days, it really does get thicker as it chills- so setting it out for a pit might be a suggestion. Our test batch was left in uncovered and it got pretty thick, but after it had time to come up to room temperature it was a nice cool, and refreshing dessert. At any rate this is a easy, and versatile recipe. Some of you are very skilled cooks, if you make another version let us see it over on Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget you can share photos or your creations over in the Facebook Group or on Pinterest.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Chocolate Mousse
- Set up a double boiler by placing a heatproof bowl on top of a sauce pan filled with about 1 inch of water. Make sure that the bowl is not touching the water and it’s suspended above the waterline by the rim of the pan. Bring the water to a gentle simmer.
- Add the chocolate chips, butter, 2 tablespoons of the water, and whisk until the mixture is melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the pan and set aside.
- In a separate bowl over the same double boiler combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of water, the natural sweetener, add the egg yolks… Whisk until the mixture is foamy and warm to the touch, about three minutes.
- Pour the warm egg mixture into the warm chocolate mixture and whisk it until it is smooth and well incorporated. You may place it over a larger bowl filled with ice water to assist in bringing it to room temperature. Let it cool about five minutes.
- Pour the heavy cream into a separate mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, with the cream until it makes a soft peaks.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the whip cream into the chocolate mixture little by little until it is well combined and there are no visible white streaks using a gentle over and under motion.
- Transfer to dessert dishes, and let chill at least one hour.
- Garnish with optional whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.