This weeks recipe is Keto Thumbprint Cookies, this is recipe #2 as part of our 2019 Keto Christmas Recipe series. We believe that there is no reason to not remain strong on keto during the holidays. All it takes is a little bit of planning and a willingness to try new things, however even many of the traditional holiday recipes can be modified and turned into Keto Low Carb friendly dishes that the entire family can enjoy. This is a delicious keto/low carb take on a classic holiday style cookie. Who says you can’t enjoy the holidays when doing keto. There are many versions of this recipe online, keto and non keto, it’s very versatile and you could experiment with it and take it in many different variations.
Thumbprint cookies are one of those signature Christmas time sweets, that seem to make an appearance at any holiday party regardless of how small. I think it’s because they have a melt-in-your-mouth texture, and combine so many things people love: buttery cookies, nuts, and jam. How much more homemade can you get?
These buttery little rounds are actually Swedish in origin, and their name means “raspberry cave” They will add beautiful color to a platter of treats. You can fill the thumbprint in the center with any fruit preserves you like. If you make your own sugar free jam, all the better. We’ve had both orange marmalade, and raspberry, and both were delightful.
This cookie recipe was a real trip down cookie memory lane for me. My mother didn’t do a lot of baking, but she’s always had a great love for cookies, and this is one that she would make on occasion.
Thumbprint cookies are wonderful with toasted walnuts or pecans, however, you can use whatever nut you prefer… Or omit them entirely. But I really do feel like they add something special.
Feel free to get family and friends involved with this recipe and do it in an assembly line. This is an especially easy recipe with so few ingredients, it would be a really good teaching and learning tool for small children or grandchildren.
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
We’ve really been enjoying this recipe. In fact we experimented with it and made a Orange Marlininand version using the same basic recipe, changing up the following three things:
- We used Vanilla extract versus Almond
- We coated these with crushed Walnuts veruse pecans
- We used sugar free Orange Marmalade versus the raspberry
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Thumbprint Cookies
- Large mixing bowl
- Silicone oven mat
- large cookie sheet
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Combined the egg, butter, and sweetener, mixing well… Add extract if desired.
- Sift almond flour and baking soda into wet ingredients, combining well with a handmixer or spoon.
- Form the dough into 1.5 inch balls by hand or with a cookie baller, and roll in chopped nuts to coat.
- Place on a parchment lined (or use silicone mat)cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and press a small dent into the center of each cookie. Place approximately 1 teaspoon of jam in each cookie dent. Return to the oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Cookies must be fully cool to stay together-until then they will be quite fragile, so handle gently when transferring, and let them remain on the cookie sheet for a suggested 30 minutes.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other Keto recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight one of our older videos and recipes it is Keto Candy Cane Cheesecake Bars.
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.