This weeks recipe is homemade Keto Eggnog, this is recipe #4 as part of our 2019 Keto Christmas Recipe series. We believe that there is no reason to not remain strong on keto during the holidays. All it takes is a little bit of planning and a willingness to try new things, however even many of the traditional holiday recipes can be modified and turned into Keto Low Carb friendly dishes that the entire family can enjoy. This is a delicious keto/low carb take on a classic holiday drink. Who says you can’t enjoy the holidays when doing keto.
This holiday season, I say let’s skip the store-bought cartons and additive-laden jugs of high sugar concoctions, and have our eggnog the old-fashioned way : with real eggs and natural sweetener and spice. As long as you have eggs, almond milk, and cream in your refrigerator, you can have eggnog anytime the craving hits.
Our recipe is a step-by-step guide to eggnog bliss. After just one taste, people will know this homemade holiday treat came from the kitchen, not from the store.
You won’t believe how easy and delicious this homemade eggnog is, and this real recipe really is the best. Thick and creamy with the perfect mild flavor and a hint of nutmeg You’ll never need to buy store-bought eggnog again.
So what is eggnog?
It was historically known as milk punch, or grog… Eggnog is a mixture of beaten egg yolks, cream and, often whiskey or rum. It’s served chilled.
Some eggnog‘s are made with raw eggs, that’s not the case for my eggnog. With this eggnog, you warm up a mixture of almond milk ,heavy cream , and spices, and then slowly add tempered eggs until it’s completely combined.
What is tempering? Tempering eggs mean you SLOWLY add hot liquid to them to raise the temperature to avoid the risk of scrambling them. If you whisk in the yolks right to the saucepan, you could scramble them! Yuck!
Once you temper the egg yolks,and cream mixtures, you return it to the stove and you cook it over medium heat until it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If you have a candy thermometer this is about 160°. Patience is key here.
I like my eggnog spiked, whiskey and rum both taste great. But if you prefer to abstain, (as CJ usually does) this tastes fabulous by itself.
As for shelflife, if your household is anything like mine, leftover eggnog is rarely an issue. Your eggnog should keep quite well for several days in the refrigerator. Also reserve serving until just before guests arrive.
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
We’ve really been enjoying this recipe. We made two batches of this and they both were delicious. They lasted about 3 days, and we had know problem with it going bad. However, we wouldn’t suggest going past 3 days with it. Remember this is all natural with no preservatives so it will not last as long a regular eggnog. The eggnog was a lot lighter and not as heavy as store bought eggnog, the color is also not as vibrant but again that’s because its natural with not added ingredients to color it. We actually made a eggnog latte and it worked just fine.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto EggnogPrep Time 3 minutesCook Time 15 minutesChilling Time 3 hoursServings 7 peopleCalories 300kcal
- large bowl, large pot
- 2 cups almond milk Unsweetened
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated, plus more for garnish
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup powdered erythritol We strongly suggest powdered
- 2 squeezes liquid sweetener optional
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or powder
- 1/2-1 cup dark rum or bourbon to taste optional
- Add almond milk, heavy cream, cinnamon and nutmeg to a medium saucepan and simmer for about 8-10 to infuse. Remove from heat and set aside while you prepare the yolks.
- Add egg yolks and sweetener to a large bowl and, using a whisk or an electric mixer (easier), beat them until light, fluffy, and most of the sweetener has dissolved (if using erythritol that is unpowdered, some granules will remain).
- Gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Tempering means adding the hot milks little by little to your egg mixture while whisking constantly, so your eggs don't curdle.
- Return everything to the saucepan, and cook over medium/low heat for roughly 8-10 minutes, or until your mixture reaches 160°F/70°C and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and sieve onto a medium mixing bowl. Stir in vanilla to taste. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
- Your eggnog will continue to thicken while chilling. So give it a good stir right before serving, and feel free to thin it out with a little nut milk until desired consistency is reached. Add alcohol before serving if desired. Sprinkle with more nutmeg for garnish.
Notes2 net carbs per 8 oz glass *All nutrition information is approximate. Please read and use your own labels for more precise information. We provide these recipes to give you options for food choices on a Keto or Low Carb diet, it is YOUR responsibility to manage your individual daily macros.
NutritionServing: 8oz | Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 261mg | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 68mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1222IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 1mg
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other Keto recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight one of our older videos and recipes it is Keto Rum Balls.
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.