The holiday season is in full swing and it’s all about the baking… But just because you’re leading the keto lifestyle doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy all those classic holiday flavors. And we think gingerbread cookies are one of them.
We referenced a keto krate recipe this week. Every month they share a helpful booklet in their box, and we decided to give one of their recipes a try…..SUCCESS! (use Code: CJSKETOKITCHEN)
So, about these delightful cookies….For starters, I used a mix of spices in these little bites of perfection… Of course there’s plenty of ginger. Then we’ve got some cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. I love the extra punch of the flavor from the cloves. A little baking soda for leavening gives a touch of extra zing.
Brown sugar is a terrific way to go with these, in this case natural brown sugar alternative, since brown sugar actually has molasses flavor in it. Which makes perfect sense with ginger bread… You get all the delicious flavor of molasses without the carbs.
Let’s talk about these lovely little gingerbread cookies! Each bite is:
- soft and chewy (really!)
- perfectly spiced
- richly flavored
- slathered in homemade creamy icing
- and so DELICIOUS
- Perfect for cookie swaps and gift giving
These gingerbread cookies are so delicious they can be left unfrosted… but why would you want to?! Fluffy and simple frosting make everything better ♥♥♥
So go on, spoil yourself with a batch of these frosted gingerbread cookies! Serve them with good coffee or tea and ENJOY.
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
Wow! 2020 has flown by ! A friend reminded me how easy in 2020 it would be easy to let Christmas blow by, and I had to admit that’s what had happened to me. Sure I’ve purchased stuff, we got a tree up, but 2020 with all of its issues almost zapped my Christmas joy as well. These delicious little Christmas cookies sort of helped me get back on track. They were delicious, and it was nice to have a sweet treat around the house. Who knew that even on Keto you could still enjoy the flavors of gingerbread. Happy Holiday’s and Merry Christmas. Don’t let 2020 still your joy–We Got This! We hope you enjoy it. Post your versions, on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Iced Gingerbread Cookie
- Large mixing bowl
- hand mixer
- Silicone Baking Mat
- Baking Sheet
Gingerbread Cookie Ingredients
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 TB cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 12 TB butter Softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar alternative we used Suriname gold
- 1 TB sugar-free maple syrup we used ChocZero brand
- 1 TB unsweetened almond milk unsweetened almond or macadamia nut milk
Simple Cookie Icing
- 3 TB natural sweetener (Powdered)
- 1 TB Half and Half (You can use Heavy Cream if desired)
- Mixed together almond flour, coconut flour spices, xanthan gum, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Using a hand mixer at medium speed, cream together butter and brown natural sweetener until combined and fluffy.
- Add maple syrup, add dry ingredients to butter and sweetener mixture gradually until fully combined. Add in nut milk and continue mixing until dough forms.
- Remove dough from bowl and pat into a ball. Wrapped with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Form dough into cookie balls and slightly flatten… Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to remain on cookie sheet until fully cooled. Ice with swirls if desired.
Simple Cookie Icing
- Mix your sweetener and half and half together to form your icing.
- Mixture should be thin enough to pipe through a bag, but not runny. Add more sweetener if too thin, more liquid if too thick.
- Add icing to baggy, twist to seal. Cut a small hole at tip.
- Pipe decoration on cookies as desired. Let icing dry to harden before storage.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.