Keto Alice Springs Chicken – A Taste from Down Under
This weeks recipe is an easy one… It is Alice springs chicken, an Outback Steakhouse copycat recipe made keto. Delicious chicken breast and a honey mustard sauce, then topped with mushrooms bacon and lots of cheese. So delicious.
Even though Outback Steakhouse, as you can guess by its name, is famous for their steaks. It’s always nice to have chicken on the menu, right? According to my research people are OBSESSED with their chicken.
So what is Alice Springs chicken?
It is a chicken dish made with delicious chicken breast and a honey mustard sauce and then you sauté it until tender… Finally, they smother the chicken in buttery mushrooms, crispy bacon, and lots of melted cheese… You can even serve extra honey mustard sauce on the side for dipping.
This chicken recipe is named after Alice springs in Australia, a large town in the northern territory you can read all about it on Wikipedia if you want to know more.
Outback steakhouse is an Australian themed American casual dining restaurant chain that started in Tampa Florida… And while our truly Australian friends might not consider their food as “authentic”… The country of Australia does have Outback restaurants, so they must not be too offended. LOL.
We hope you give this easy dining dish with a twist a try on your weekly chicken rotation.
A few thoughts on this recipe:
- The original recipe uses chicken breasts, you could substitute chicken thighs if you wish, but the idea is to have them pounded down quite thinly, and that is much easier with a chicken breast. You will still get plenty of fat in with the bacon and the toppings.
- Definitely consider reserving some of the delicious honey mustard sauce for dipping on the side.
- As with all casserole style dishes this is even better made ahead and heated up the next day.
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
As I mentioned in my taste test, I had never noticed or heard of Alice Springs Chicken on the Outback Steakhouse menu. But I’m one of those weird people who when I visit a steak house, I actually order steak–just saying. This was surprising good, and it was better the next day. The Pyure Harmless Hunny product was interesting and before we made this video, I don’t think we knew it existed, give it a try if interested. All any all this was a really delicious dish, and it was better the next day. We hope you enjoy it. Post your versions, on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Alice Springs Chicken
- Large mixing bowl
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- 2 lb chicken breast halved & pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 8 oz. bacon 3/4 cup of crumbles
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 tbsp Seasoning to taste We used Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute and Trader Joe's Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Sugar-free honey alternative (Pyure Harmless Hunny) Optional Ingredient
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Slice chicken breasts horizontally to make four pieces… Pound with a meat mallet to 1 inch thickness.
- In a large skillet re-warm bacon crumbles. Add 1 cup of mushrooms and sauté until tender. Remove bacon and mushrooms and set aside.
- Add tallow or butter to the pan if needed… Sauté chicken breaths on both sides until lightly browned.
- Les chicken breasts in a medium sized baking dish. Combine together mayonnaise mustard and alternative sweetener to form a sauce. Pour sauce over chicken breasts in the pan. Top with reserved mushrooms and bacon. Sprinkle cheese even over the dish.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Broiling for 1 to 2 minutes if desired. Let dish sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serves 8
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.