This weeks recipe is homemade Keto Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp with Bourbon BBQ Sauce, this is recipe #5 as part of our 2019 Keto Christmas/Holiday Recipe series. We believe that there is no reason to not remain strong on keto during the holidays. All it takes is a little bit of planning and a willingness to try new things, however even many of the traditional holiday recipes can be modified and turned into Keto Low Carb friendly dishes that the entire family can enjoy. This is a delicious, elegant and sophisticated and easy to make keto appetizer that would be great your upcoming New Year’s Eve events. Who says you can’t enjoy the holidays when doing keto.
A simple to make yet really sophisticated appetizer. Great for a cocktail party, or to kick off a New Year’s eve gathering. This recipe was originally from Food & Wine magazine, and was not ketogenic….with a few simple adaptations, this will please all your party crowds! The jazzed up barbecue sauce really gives this dish an extra boost of flavor, part sweet, and part spicy, and very savory! And although this works perfectly as an appetizer, it also works nicely as a main dish or as a topper for salad or zoodled zucchini.
These can be completely prepped ahead of time, which helps make them the perfect party snack.
Prosciutto is a dried cured ham, with a nice salty flavor. Prosciutto originated in Italy but he’s also made in the same style in the US. It is often eaten and cooked, but it’s great in place of bacon in various recipes, such as these festive, splurgy jumbo shrimp hors d’oeuvres. Prosciutto is more delicate than bacon, but it gets a nice crispness, and the BBQ sauce really helps it stick to the shrimp.
I used frozen shrimp for my recipe, but feel free to use any large shrimp of your choosing. I also found that a minute of broiling at the end really set off the crispness and color of the prosciutto.
May your new year bring health and happiness, pursuing the ketogenic lifestyle!
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
Well this recipe was an appetizer so we didn’t have a lot left over, I generally will take leftovers from our recipes for lunch. These were equally as good the next day, I only wished that we’d used a bit more barbeque sauce. The only other issue I noticed had to do with with reheating the shrimp and trying not to over cook them using the microwave. All and all these were delicious, and a nice little appetizer.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp with Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 1 TB avocado oil or Olive Oil
- 2 TB chopped onion
- 1 Tsp. rosemary fresh chopped
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp 21 season salute
- 2 TB brown sugar alternative
- 1 TB Dijon mustard
- 2 TB bourbon optional
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1/5 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/5 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar-free bbq sauce
- 24 shrimp Extra Large
- 12 slices prosciutto cut lengthwise
- Lime wedges for serving optional
- In a medium saucepan , heat the oil. Add the onion and rosemary and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown. Stir in all of the remaining barbecue sauce ingredients and season with salt and pepper. In a food processor, purée the barbecue sauce until smooth. Transfer the sauce to a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Coat shrimp with barbecue sauce. Wrap each shrimp in a half a slice of prosciutto and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Brush the shrimp with some of the barbecue sauce and arrange them 1 inch apart. Roast the shrimp for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the shrimp over, brush with more barbecue sauce and roast for an additional five minutes longer. Broil for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes to get a nice golden crispness. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and serve. Garnish with lime wedges and any remaining barbecue sauce for dipping.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other Keto recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight one of our older appetizer videos just to give you additional options for your upcoming News Years or even Super Bowl parties.
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.