Keto Shepards Pie
HELLO CJSKETOKITCHEN FAM! This week we take a classic comfort food dish and make it Keto/Low Carb here is a Keto Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Shepherd’s pie is a very traditional dish with a long history “Shepherd’s Pie’ generally refers to lamb and “Cottage Pie” is generally made with beef so technically I guess we’ve made a Cottage Pie. The inspiration for this dish came when we saw a hub cap sized high carb version of a Shepherd’s Pie at Costco, this thing was huge. If you’ve ever purchased a Costco Pumpkin Pie these were about the same size. CJ actually made a version of this dish last year in a video (yes, CJ actually does cook from time to time)!
This dish is generally topped with a layer of mashed potatoes and of course potatoes are not keto friendly. Our version is topped with faux-tatoes (cauliflower) mashed. In the video we show you how to make mashed faux-tatoes which is a recipe that is good to have in your keto food arsenal of dishes. We hope you enjoy this dish.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Shepherd's Pie
Shepherd's Pie Filling
- 2 lbs Ground Beef Cooked and drained
- 3 Slices Bacon
- 14.5 oz French Style Green Beans
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp No Sugar Added Ketchup
Faux Potato Topping
- 16 Oz Cauliflower (cooked) frozen or fresh equivalent
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Oz Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp Garlic Puree
- 2 Tbsp Half and Half used for thinning
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded) Or cheese of choice
- Brown and draining 2 pounds of ground beef and set aside.
- Crumble 3 slices of cooked bacon (or use 1/2 cup of Bacon Crumbles)
- In a 9 X 13 inch baking dish, or equivalent sized pie pan, place cooked beef.
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter on medium heat.
- When butter is melted add heavy cream. Whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer on medium low...when small bubbles form lower temp to low.
- add your tomato paste, reduced sugar ketchup and cheese to your butter and heavy cream sauce, whisking until well combined and smooth.
- Pour tomato cheese sauce over beef and stir well.
- Add your french style green beans in an even layer.
- Top the green bean layer with your bacon crumbles.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
Faux Potato Topping
- Placed cooked cauliflower in a blender or food processor. Add your 2 half and half and blend until you get a "potato" texture. Add in your 1 cup of shredded cheese and blend until smooth.
- Pour your faux potato over your other layers and spread evenly on your pie.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (checking often)
- For a golden brown crust broil for 1 to 2 minutes if desired.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.
HANDY KITCHEN ITEMS
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.