This weeks recipe is inspired by our recent vacation on the island of Hawaii. We bring you a delicious and as far as we can tell an original recipe for a Keto Macadamia Nut (Mac Nut) Cream Pie. We absolutely loved this recipe and we are sure your family will as well
How far would you travel for a good piece of pie?
If you answered 3,000 miles from Washington state to Kailua Kona, plus a winding drive to the tiny town of Na’alehu near the southern tip of the Big Island, perhaps you’d be right.
Alas, the unassuming Hana Hou Restaurant and Bakery we visited on our way to the Punaluu black sand beach, serves up a macadamia cream pie
that was neither low carb, or sugar free….but seeing it in the dessert display case, got my thinking cap working overtime to come up with a recipe for a creamy macnut pie that WOULD meet that criteria.
So treat yourself instead to our smooth and delicious creamy keto Mac Nut cream pie. This low-carb recipe is also gluten-free, grain free, and just plain delicious.
Traditionally, custard pies require a high carb thickener to create the thick and creamy texture that we love. By using heavy cream, we’ve eliminated the need for those thickeners. We have relied on the natural thickening ability of egg yolks and gentle heat to make this low-carb pie recipe. The original pie looked to have a caramel sauce base layer, so we have added caramel flavor to our pie with natural food-grade essential oils.
You’re sure to enjoy this Hawaiian delight right in your very own home.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Macadamia Nut Cream Pie
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 TB powdered natural sweetener
Making Our Crust
- Combine almond flour and melted butter, add sweetener, stir to form crust dough.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool thoroughly.
Making Our Custard Filling
- Place the heavy cream into a saucepan over low heat.
- Add the vanillia bean (or vanilla extract) to the cream and allow to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add the egg yolks and sweetener and whisk until the mixture is pale. Add caramel flavor if desired.
- Check the temperature of the cream, if the cream is cool enough for you to put your finger in it then it is ready to use. *If not allow to sit for a little longer to cool.
- Pour ¼ of the cream mixture into the egg yolk and whisk to combine, add another ¼ of the cream and finally all of the cream. This method is called tempering and allows the eggs to slowly warm up without cooking.
- Pour the eggs and cream back into the saucepan and back over low heat.
- Using a silicone spatula, continually stir the mixture until it begins to thicken. The mixture is thick enough when it coats the spatula without dripping off.
- Pour the custard into a clean mixing bowl and continue to stir as it cools for 5 minutes. Add your chopped macadamia nuts. To cool quicker, place the bowl of pudding into larger bowl filled with ice cubes.
- Place a sheet of cling film over the custard and press it onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Place the custard in the fridge for 1-2 hours(we recommend at minimum 2 hours) to cool completely before completing assembly.
- Add chilled custard layer to pie shell, and gently spread out filling your pie.
Making Our Whipped Cream Layer
- Beat 1 cup heavy whipping cream with sweetener to taste (I used two tablespoons.
- spread evenly over pie. Let chill and set for 1-2 hours (overnight is best). This gives the pie a chance to solidify (set up).
- Decorate with additional nuts if desired. Chill. Serves 10.
HANDY KITCHEN ITEMS
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.