This weeks recipe is Keto Tamala Pie, it’s a Keto take on a classic Tex Mex dish. We absolutely loved this recipe and we are sure your family will as well.
Tamale pie is a pie and casserole dish in the cuisine of the southwest, or Tex-Mex style. It is prepared with a cornmeal or masa crust and ingredients typically used in tamales. It has been described as a comfort food, and is generally carb heavy, but we have lightened it using low carb ingredients..
The dish, invented sometime in the early 1900s in the United States, may have originated in Texas, and its first known published recipe dates to 1911.
The dish became very popular around the time of the world war, because it utilized cornmeal, and thus saved on the cost of wheat. It was a favorite dish taught in home economics classes in U.S. high schools for many decades afterwards.
My mother married young, and didn’t have much cooking experience, and had in fact, never had an avocado, until she married my Dad…..somehow this Dish became a staple in our house growing up, and I knew I wanted to create it to fit in to my low carb lifestyle. CJ likes it plain, but I prefer it with sour cream, and a sprinkle of cheese. We hope you enjoy this comfort casserole.
Information On Black Soy Beans:
Here’s a good blog post about Black Soy beans. We probably make chili once a year using the recipe we have on our channel. Black Soy Beans can be tough to find we use to buy them from Whole Foods Market, and now get them from another health food/organic/whole foods type market called Marlene’s.
The base of our corn bread recipe came from the folks over at the channel Keto Connect. Sarah’s sister had used their recipe in the past and it was easy to make.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Tamale Pie
Making Your Chili Base
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 medium yellow onion
- 3 Tbs chili powder We used a Mrs. Dash packet that was very low in carbs
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs low sugar ketchup
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 2 cans Tomato Sauce 2 small cans
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies We used the "Rotel" brand
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 can black soybean optional
- Combine the ground beef and onions in soup pot or Dutch oven and sauté until ground beef is browned. Drain fat.
- Add spices, Worcestershire, ketchup, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water to pot. Stir to combine and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and drain soybeans. Add to chili and simmer for 5 to 10 more minutes. (optional Ingredient)
- Pour into a medium size casserole dish, or baking dish of choice.
Making Your Keto Corn Bread Topping
- In a blender combine wet cornbread ingredients. Whirl. Add dry ingredients. Combine again. Pour over chili mixture spreading evenly. Bake at 350° for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in cornbread comes our clean.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other Keto recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight our chili recipe (Sweeties Chili) which is from Sarah’s sister Rebecca.
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.