This weeks recipe is A Keto Spinach Artichoke Chicken Bake with Bacon. This was a recipe inspired by Sarah’s love from her “high carb” days of eating a Spinach, Artichoke Chicken and bacon pizza from the Pizza chain Papa Murphy’s. There are lots of recipes for Spinach Artichoke Chicken but to our surprise they omitted the bacon. This is a simple to make and delicious recipe.
I love easy weeknight dishes, don’t you?
Back when I was a sugar burner, one of my favorite things to eat was chicken bacon artichoke pizza, so I wanted to come up with a low carb option that would mimic the same flavors while being a better protein source, all the while, still offering exceptional flavor.
This dish combines the creaminess of spinach dip, the savory crunch of bacon, with the easy flat portable portion that a flattened chicken “plate” provides. This dish is super simple, requires few ingredients, and prep time is minimal.
Part of the flavors in this dish are imparted by utilizing artichokes.
Artichokes are actually part of the thistle family, and quite a bit of the plant is actually inedible. I remember what a treat it was eating steamed ones as a child, pealing the leaves and dipping them in mayonnaise….this dish uses jarred artichoke, and they are readily available on grocery store shelves both in jars and cans.
We are sure this rich creamy dish will become a new family favorite.
The Health Benefit’s of Artichoke’s
This article is from the folks over at WebMD, it gives some quick history of artichokes and it’s benefits.
According to legend, the artichoke was created when the smitten Greek god Zeus turned his object of affection into a thistle after being rejected. Despite this prickly beginning, the ancients considered the artichoke full of health benefits, using it as an aphrodisiac, a diuretic, a breath freshener, and even a deodorant….Because of their tough exterior, artichokes take some careful preparation. But your efforts will reap nutritional rewards — the veggie is a good source of folate, dietary fiber, and vitamins C and K. Artichokes are also packed with antioxidants; they’re number 7 on the USDA’s top 20 antioxidant-rich foods list.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Spinach Artichoke Chicken Bake with Bacon
- 2 lbs Chicken Breast Boneless skinless, approximately 8 oz each
- 4 oz Cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese Shredded or grated is fine
- 7 oz Artichoke Hearts
- 5 oz Spinach Frozen saves time, it should be thawed out.
- 1/2 cup Bacon Crumbles or six slices of cooked bacon, chopped and crumbled.
- 1/2 tbsp Trader Joes 21 Seasoning Salute Or any type of seasoning blend of your choice
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Sea Salt
- 1.5 cups Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
Preparing Your Chicken and Bacon
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- In a separate pan fry 6 slices or bacon and then finely chop or crumble it. If using bacon crumbles simply warm them using your frying pan with a tablespoon of butter. After you have cooked your bacon set it aside.
- Take four boneless and skinless chicken breast (approximately 8 oz each), and using a meat mallet or rolling pin flatten your chicken breast to approximately 1 to 1/2 inch. Or for extremely large breast consider slicing them in half horizontally. Repeat this for each of your breast.
- Place your chicken in a lightly greased frying pan and fry until browned on each side *Note you are not trying to fulling cook them, you only want to brown each side. TIP: As your breast cook be sure to drain off any excess liquid to help with the browning process.
- Using a medium to large mix bowl. Begin by adding your mayo, Parmesan cheese, softened cream cheese and artichoke hearts into your bowl. TIP: You may want to chop your artichoke hearts up a bit.
- Now add your seasonings.
Preparing Your Spinach
- We suggest you use frozen spinach that has been thawed out. Before adding your spinach into your mixing bowl we suggest that you draining the liquid from your spinach. Using a small bowl simply take a paper towel and press the water out of your spinach over your sink, get out as much liquid as you can.
- Add your drained spinach and bacon crumbles to your other ingredients and mix well.
- Remove your browned chicken breast from the stove and place them in a large baking dish.
- Take your artichoke and bacon cream sauce and cover each of your chicken breast with lots of the cream sauce.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes in 375 degree oven. Check your chicken because every oven if different.
- After your Chicken has baked for 30 - 35 minutes remove it from the oven.
- Switch your oven the BROIL setting
- Spread shredded mozzarella cheese generously over each breast.
- Place in the oven to broil for approximately 2 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. TIP: Watch this closely!
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other Keto recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another chicken dish: One Pan Seared Chicken Thighs.
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.