This weeks recipe is Cheesy Ham and Asparagus Bake. This is a delicious and easy to make keto friendly dish that the entire family will enjoy this. We had this dish as our Easter meal in 2020. The idea behind this recipe is creating a delicious dish that can help you use up your leftover Easter Ham. But this would be great to make all year long, and is easy to prepare with minimal ingredients. We hope you enjoy it!
Fresh and simple ingredients make the preparation for this casserole fast and easy. Use frozen or fresh cooked asparagus in this casserole. I hate wasting food after the holidays or anything else, so I wanted to come up with a tasty leftover ham recipe. This ham casserole is a winner in so many ways! I used up leftover ham, made it fairly quickly, and my family gobbled up every bite in no time! This is a great way to use leftover ham after your Easter holiday, or dice a fully cooked ham steak or deli ham for the recipe. It’s an excellent all-in-one casserole for any night of the week.
Even if you think you don’t like asparagus you have to try this. It is a wonderfully easy quiche-like casserole to throw together for breakfast, lunch or dinner! This can be prepared the night before, covered, and put in the refrigerator overnight. Just be sure to allow extra cook time.
Here’s a few interesting facts about asparagus:
- It actually takes about 3 years for an asparagus plant to mature starting from seed to produce “normal-sized” asparagus. Once mature, an asparagus plant can continue producing asparagus for 15-20 years!
- It’s pretty well known that asparagus causes your pee to smell weird shortly after eating it, but some (lucky) people can’t smell it! It’s a genetic thing, and many people don’t have the gene that allows you to smell that very distinct scent.
- Asparagus is a natural diuretic, which means it can help with fluid balance, especially in people with edema (retaining water in body tissue) or blood pressure issues.
- White asparagus is not genetically modified to make it grow that way; farmers actually cover the asparagus spears with soil as they grow, and the lack of sunlight makes them white.
- California, Washington, and Michigan are the top U.S growers of asparagus, with most of it coming from California.
Asparagus is in season here and quite fresh-to-market…..if you cannot find fresh locally, frozen can always be substituted. I really feel that soft cheeses like Colby, Monterey Jack, and cheddar really add to the creaminess of this bake. I used Swiss cheese for Easter, and while I enjoyed its sharp flavor, it didn’t give the smooth velvety texture that the others did. But as always, use what you enjoy and can find in your area. Whipping your egg mixture up in the blender really helps “fluff” up this casserole, so I highly recommend doing so. It’s also a great time to season your dish, because once it’s cooked, it can be difficult to season.
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
Sarah initially made this recipe for our Easter meal in 2020, right in the middle of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic – but life really must go on, so we made the best of the situation and still enjoyed a Easter meal. In the first version (test version) she used Swiss cheese, and the dish was good, but it did seem a bit dry. Throughout the rest of the day Sarah kept asking me if she should change out the cheese? The swiss cheese doesn’t seem to melt like other cheeses it seemed to just lay there in clumps. Ultimately by the time we needed to film the video for YouTube Sarah decided to use a Colby Jack mixture and it really made a huge difference in the taste of the dish. It was very moist and fluffier which of course made it taste better. Some of you are very skilled cooks, if you make another version let us see it over on Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget you can share photos or your creations over in the Facebook Group or on Pinterest.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Cheesy Ham and Asparagus Bake (Keto/Low Carb)
- 1.5 cups ham cooked and cubed
- 1/2 red pepper Diced
- 2 TB onion finely chopped
- 12 oz Asparagus or one bunch asparagus(fresh or frozen)cut in 1 inch slices
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups colby jack cheese shredded any kind you have, I used Colby Jack
- Seasoning of choice to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish
- Brown and warm cubed ham....add pepper and onion and sauté until lightly browned.
- Simmer chopped asparagus in a skillet with shallow water, until slightly softened, but still crisp.
- In a blender, add eggs, cream, Parmesan cheese and flour, season. Combine well in blender.
- Place ham, and veggies in the bottom of the casserole dish....sprinkle with half the cheese. Pour blended egg mixture over evenly. Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until set.
- Let rest 15 minutes. Serves 8 to 10 (175g) pieces.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.