This weeks recipe is Keto Swedish Meatballs. These are a easy and delicious keto low carb recipe. This recipe is easy to make, has minimal ingredients and is a keto friendly dish that the entire family will enjoy, our kids certainly did!
Nothing beats homemade meatballs smothered in a creamy gravy sauce. Swedish meatball recipes are usually passed down from a Swedish grandmother to her grandchildren… Well I don’t have a Swedish grandmother LOL, but these easy to make meatballs are full of flavor ,swimming in the most amazing creamy gravy sauce. It’s safe to say that meatballs are tied to a lot of childhood memories and family dinners.
I like to use a mixture of ground beef, and ground pork in my recipe, but you can use all beef if you don’t like or have pork, or you could easily use ground chicken or turkey. Ground veal would also be delicious here if you can find it. I doubled the recipe for our family of four, but you could halve it to cook for one. You could also freeze the meatballs and make the sauce at a later time.
The bit of onion here is key, and adds a nice moisture to the meatballs. Traditionally breadcrumbs are used in making meatballs… But a bit of almond flour and Parmesan cheese does the job here well, as a pretend “Panko“… And you won’t miss the bread crumbs at all I promise you. In fact I feel you get a much juicier and savory meatball without the addition of so much binder.
Once the meatballs are fried, keep the meat juices in the pan… This is where the flavor is.
Flavoring with nutmeg and allspice is a very traditional taste in Swedish meatballs… These little balls are best served with the meatball sauce… A rich and beefy stock gravy spiked with heavy cream and butter. Remember, this is a sauce…it will be thinner than gravy, but will thicken a bit in cooling, and next day.
This meal is ready in a short amount of time and is perfect for feeding a hungry family during the week. I served it to my daughters with egg noodles, but would also be great served over mashed cauliflower or cauliflower rice. I think my 9-year old said it best when she said, “ These meatballs aren’t very pretty, but they taste soooo delicious”. It is such a classic recipe, and this one I believe is the best! I know that it will become a favorite of your family as well
FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST by C.J.
We always talk about keeping your keto eating simple, and this recipe is an example of that. These little babies can be whipped up during a busy weeknight and is a dish that our entire family enjoyed. Our kids inhaled these and had double portions, they enjoyed them so much. I enjoyed them as well, they had a great flavor and the addition of the various spices such as nutmeg enhanced there flavor profile-who knew that would happen. These meatballs reminded me of those you get at IKEA, but without all of the carbs. These lasted about two days, and the recipe as Sarah made them in the video is actually a double batch. We did this because we knew our kids would like them as well, and they did. They are simple to make, I know this because I was holding the camera throughout the recipe so its one of those Keto recipes that even and inexperienced cook can make with success (even I could make these). Some of you are very skilled cooks, if you make another version let us see it over on Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget you can share photos or your creations over in the Facebook Group or on Pinterest.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto recipes that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!
For a detailed cooking demonstration check out the video over on YouTube, and if you like these types of recipes consider subscribing to our YouTube channel.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Swedish Meatballs
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/4 white onion finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 TB Dijon mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Avocado oil for cooking
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a skillet or pan over medium heat. Add the onion, a pinch of salt, and sauté until it just begins to caramelize (6-8 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Add the ground meat, almond flour and Parmesan cheese, salt, spices, cooked onion, egg ,mustard, and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream to a large bowl. Mix everything thoroughly together using your hands. Scoop using two spoons, or a cookie baller, form into rounds.
- Heat up a touch of avocado oil in your skillet over medium heat and cook the meatballs until brown all over and cooked almost through. You'll want to turn them around a few times so they cook evenly. Transfer to a plate while you make the sauce.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet and cook until it begins to brown (don't clean the meatball remnants as they add the flavor to the sauce!). Add in the broth, and remaining heavy cream to deglaze the pan. Allow to simmer for a couple minutes and make a slurry out of your thickener of choice (i.e. mix it with a couple teaspoons of cold water prior to adding it to avoid clumping). Continue to simmer until the sauce just begins to thicken and taste for seasoning, adding more if desired.
- Add the meatballs back into the skillet, simmer for a couple more minutes and serve. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make family friendly Keto Recipe:
BE SURE TO VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
Interactive keto plans optimized for quicker and better weight loss results. Designed and tested to give results in just 28 days.
- 200+ delicious low-carb recipes for every taste
- Weekly shopping lists to stay on track
- Expert guidance that make your goals a reality
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.