Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe – Ready in 30 minutes, you’ll have the best Homemade Barbecue Sauce that is sweet and tangy and made from scratch…..best of all it’s sugar-free!
This BBQ Sauce comes together quickly with just a handful of ingredients that I generally have in my refrigerator or my pantry and use often on the keto lifestyle.
There are some great pre-bottled barbecue sauces on the market, but it’s nice to control ingredients and things like spice level and sweetness. With this you can skip the bottled stuff. Buy and use real, unprocessed ingredients, you’ll have an award winning barbecue sauce recipe that tastes, well, homemade.
I know that once you try this simple and delicious homemade recipe, you’re going to want to keep a jar in your fridge at all times.
Let’s talk ingredients:
- Sugar-free ketchup :For the tomato flavor, I used sugar free ketchup instead of paste and tomato sauce. Simple and easy to find.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. The vinegar adds some much needed acidity to our sweet and tangy barbecue sauce recipe. Use high quality and shake it well!
- Brown sugar alternative: To sweeten things up, I used a little maple syrup and molasses. I love the way the maple flavors plays against the strong flavors in the spices, and these ingredients make the sauce rich and thick.
- Worcestershire Sauce. Another key component in the quest to find the perfect balance of sweet, savory, and tangy. Worcestershire sauce is intensely savory and instantly adds a long-simmered flavor to the sauce.
- Seasonings: mustard, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper results in a classic, balanced combination of flavors. While it’s optional, adding a dash of cayenne pepper or my favorite chipotle blend, gives just the right amount of heat. We like a bit of red pepper flake.
- Soy sauce: give a deep woodsy smoke.
- Liquid smoke: liquid smoke comes in different varieties, I used hickory… But you can use whatever you’d like. It really gives the depth of flavor to your barbecue sauce. I also use it on my pork and beef roasts. A little goes far!
- Alcohol: I used a bit of bourbon, you can omit the booze if you want. It cooks out in the process…I did not use it in my second batch.
How to Store and Freeze Barbecue Sauce:
- To Store. Store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for about 15 days. Since it is not loaded with preservatives, homemade barbecue sauce will go bad faster than store bought barbecue sauce.
- To Freeze. Yes, you can freeze barbecue sauce if you wish….Place the sauce in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
CJ’S FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST:
Well this recipe brings back memories. Memories of one of the first videos we shot for YouTube, back when I (CJ), use to do most of the cooking and videos. I know that’s hard to believe for most people, that why the channel is called “CjsKetoKitchen” and although we talk about it often, Sarah and I aren’t ready to change it. I must say however that this recipe is awesome! It’s very versatile as well, a good template for you to experiment and make your own delicious Sugar Free sauce. We hope you enjoy it.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto content that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends! If you haven’t already consider subscribing over on YouTube, we’d love to have you as part of our Keto Family.
sweet & tangy sugar-free BBQ sauce
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Whisk well.
- Bring sauce to a low simmer. whisking often
- Simmer 30 minutes or longer.
- Blend if desired for extra smoothness.
- May be stored 3 weeks.
VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.