This spaghetti pie recipe pulls together all of the best aspects of a comforting Italian classic – keto friendly alternative to pasta – cheese, a zesty meat sauce, and more cheese! After all, sometimes it’s all about no fuss basics.
Spaghetti pie is exactly what it sounds like. A crust of spaghetti squash and cheese topped with delicious homemade spaghetti sauce and more cheese. Then the whole thing is baked until it’s bubbly and then sliced and served like a pie.
Keto spaghetti pie casserole is layered and the flavors remind me of lasagna, but I think it’s easier to prepare:
- The crust is made of squash “noodles” and mixed with eggs and cheese.
- The egg binds everything together so that you can easily cut your baked spaghetti pie into wedges.
- We used spaghetti squash, but you could also use Shirataki noodles or other ketogenic friendly noodles if you wish.
- This recipe uses a version of my favorite homemade Ragu sauce… It’s simply ground meat pizza sauce, and herbs and spices with a bit of onion and garlic.
- You can simmer the sauce to make sure that it’s nice and thickened.
- Feel free to add other veggies if you’d like, and/or fresh herbs.
- A ricotta layer makes this recipe creamy. Add in your favorite seasonings to this layer for extra flavor.
- You can replace the ricotta with cottage cheese, cottage cheese has a bit more liquid so you may have to drain it a little bit. Be sure to look for full fat cottage cheese. The flavor and texture is so much nicer with the added fat.
What is spaghetti squash, and why it works so well here…
A spaghetti squash is a large squash, and when raw the flesh is solid and similar to other raw squash, but when cooked the meat of the fruit falls away from the flesh in ribbons or strands that look like, and are often used as a healthier alternative to, spaghetti.
Spaghetti squash contains many nutrients including folic acid potassium vitamin a in beta carotene… It’s low in calories, and in carbs. Besides that, it’s just fun LOL!
Here’s how I prepare mine:
Score your squash with a large knife, or meat fork.
Place whole on a lined cookie sheet.
Bake at 425° for about an hour or more depending on how large your squash is.
Allow it to cool, cut it open and scrape out the seeds… Then taking a fork and create “strands“ or noodles. My 5 pound squash yielded about 6 cups of squash. I just freeze the extra for a later date.
CJ’S FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST:
This dish was really flavorful and easy to make. Preparing the spaghetti squash was really the most time consuming, and it was hard to do you just have to let it bake for awhile. We did ours days in advance of doing the recipe. This really was delicious, and it was something different. The spaghetti squash has a nice texture too it, and is a little bit sweet. So if your bored with the same old keto foods this will be a nice change of pace. Give it a try and please share on your social media feeds.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto content that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends! If you haven’t already consider subscribing over on YouTube, we’d love to have you as part of our Keto Family.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Keto Spaghetti Pie
- 2 cups spaghetti squash cooked
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce low sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheese(of choice)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
- 1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1/2 tsp. Italian herb seasoning
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a deep 9' pie pan with cooking spray
- In a small bowl, gently stir together 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and 1 egg.
- Press into pie pan with a spatula, bake 10 minutes and set aside.
- While crust is baking: lightly sauté onion, garlic and cooked ground beef until warmed through. Add sauce.
- Stir ricotta cheese, Italian seasoning, and remaining egg together, and pour into crust.
- Top with sauce and meat mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheeses.
- Bake 30 minutes until warm & bubble. May broil if desired to finish. Let sit 15 minutes.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.