Keto Irish Hash
Corned beef hash is traditionally a popular meal in Ireland. It is quick and easy to make and really hits the spot.
Over the years it has often depended on the tastes of the cook and their family as well as what ingredients may have been available.
It can be eaten at breakfast or as a big meal at the end of the day.
Like all Irish dishes, there are several variations and every household will have their own version that is familiar to them.
Corned beef hash is a great way to use St. Patrick’s day leftovers, but don’t wait until the holiday to try this version. Canned corned beef is readily available and works just as well as leftovers.
Traditional corned beef hash is pretty basic and includes corned beef, potatoes, and onions, all fried up until golden. Some versions have the corned beef roughly mashed into potatoes.
I’ve substituted rutabagas for the potatoes to still keep it keto but hearty.
In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, I’ve added shredded cabbage and topped the hash with a luscious runny egg (optional). It’s a hearty, home-style meal that will be welcomed any day of the year.
To cut preparation time, feel free to use pre-cut cole slaw mix in place of the cabbage. I however find fresh cabbage delightful here.
Rutabaga is much lower in carbohydrates than most root vegetables. This makes it a great option for those practicing low carb.
The taste is a cross between turnip and cabbage because it’s a hybrid of both.
How to pick a good rutabaga:
• Look for rutabagas that feel heavy for their size with smooth, heavy and firm roots.
• The skin should be free of major damage although smaller cuts around the top are natural.
• Smaller rutabagas (4 inches in diameter or less) tend to have a sweeter flavor than larger varieties.
I cut mine and boiled them for 30 minutes. This makes them ready to sauté.
CJ’S TEST FOLLOW UP:
This Keto Irish Hash was great, it got better over time! I grew to enjoy the egg gravy as it helped offset the fresh flavor of the Corned Beef, it was a nice counterbalance of flavor. My only regret with this dish was that we didn’t make two batches. I did not grow up eating Corned Beef, so for me I will probably never request the dish, although I do enjoy it. If you want to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day in style, then this is the dish for you. However, it would be great any time of the year!
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another extremely popular and easy to make recipe:
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto content that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends! If you haven’t already consider subscribing over on YouTube, we’d love to have you as part of our to Keto Family.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
keto Irish hash
- 1/2 lb. corned beef cooked; chopped
- 1/4 onion sliced
- 2 cups rutabaga peeled; diced; boiled
- 1/2 head green cabbage chopped
- 1 tsp garlic seasoning blend
- 2 TB bacon grease
- In a large shallow skillet, or cast iron pan, Heat rendered bacon grease. Add onion to the pan. Fry until barely brown. Add cabbage and cooked rutabagas. Let fry. Stir often.
- In a separate skillet, re-warm and fry chopped corned beef in remaining bacon grease. Let it get slightly browned and heated through.
- Season veggie mixture with garlic seasoning. Add heated corned beef to large skillet and veggies. Stir and sauté briefly to combine. Serve with cooked egg if desired.
VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.
Leave a Reply