I love mug cakes. They’re such a treat after a long day. Even for those of us who cook all day!
Mug cakes are cozy, and special, and… a little indulgent. Cake for one. Or two. With a few simple ingredients.
Plus, the ingredients are so simple, you likely already have them on hand.
Have I convinced you yet?
If not, the simple cream cheese frosting just might. Oh yum!
Or if cream cheese isn’t your thing… try a simple sprinkling of confectioners’ natural sweetener or a quick dollop of whipped cream.
However you choose to top your mug cake, it’s an incredible treat regardless of your choice.
LET TALK ABOUT CARROTS:
One serving of carrots is a half cup. One serving has:
- 25 calories
- 6 grams of carbohydrates
- 3 grams of fiber
Now I only used 1/4 cup for TWO CAKES, so that is roughly one carb of carrot. Totally worth it in my opinion. Besides, carrot pack some great nutrition. Like 73% of your daily allowance of vitamin A.
Pre-shredded versus whole carrots:
For this recipe, you’ll get best results by taking the 30 seconds required to shred your own carrots. Use the fine grate so the carrots have time to soften in the brief microwave cook time.
Carrot Cake Mug Cake Tips and Variations:
I tested this recipe several different ways to determine the BEST results. Here is what I found…
- NUTS – I’ve added finely chopped pecans to this recipe. You can either switch them out for walnuts or leave them out completely if you desire.
- SPICES – This recipe calls for 3/4 tsp of cinnamon, which sounds like a lot, but it adds the perfect amount of flavor to this quick cake! Use just a pinch of nutmeg. Too much will overpower. I prefer freshly grated.
- CARROTS – Don’t use store bought shredded carrots for this recipe, it’s best to use fresh carrots that are finely shredded.
Other tips and tricks on making a mug cake:
- Make sure your mug is microwave-safe! You don’t want to have any accidents with a mug breaking or anything!
- Ramekins are the perfect size for a mug cake too.
- Feel free to use any type of milk. I usually go for heavy cream, half and half or vanilla almond milk.
- Trying to cut out a bit of sugar? You can go down to about 1 tbsp of brown sugar alternative in the cake.
- Coconut oil works as a substitute for butter in this mug cake recipe.
You can bake mug cakes in the oven for 350 degrees….it takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Keep an eye on it to prevent overcooking. Be sure your mug or ramekins are oven safe!
CJ’S FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST:
Yes, so I get the benefit of enjoying Sarah’s delicious keto cooking. In this instance I enjoyed the test batch, as well as the one we made on video. They were both equally delicious. I write this on a Saturday, in my office where I’ve been editing our video, while Sarah finishes up the blog post. I hope people really understand what it takes to do all of this. We still enjoy it, even after almost 5 years. We really do want you to succeed at Keto, and in your life…that’s really what Cjsketokitchen is all about. Please like, and share on all of the social media platforms. That’s how the various algorithms’ know that this is content it should share with others. We appreciate your support.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto content that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends! If you haven’t already consider subscribing over on YouTube, we’d love to have you as part of our Keto Family.
Keto Carrot Mug Cake
- Combine wet ingredients well.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry, whisking until thoroughly incorporated.
- Fill the carrot batter into two well greased mugs or ramekins.
- Cook to microwave power settings. My 1100 watt took 50 seconds to 1 minute.
- Prepare frosting by combining ingredients.
- Serve in mug, or turn out onto a plate. Decorate with frosting. Garnish with nuts(optional)
VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.