This classic Italian sausage soup is way better than the restaurant version that it is copying… It is sure to be a crowd pleaser and is truly “comfort food” in a bowl.
This soup has all the great flavors of the Olive Garden favorite… But making it at home is much more convenient, and tastier, and of course made ketogenic. Spicy crumbled sausage, an ultra creamy broth.. plus being super easy, makes this an ideal winter classic!
The name translates to “Tuscan soup”, however, this is not a soup that hails from that region, rather a hearty sausage soup that was made famous by the Olive Garden restaurant chain. It’s maybe not truly authentic Italian, but it does have all the colors of the Italian flag!
Is Italian sausage soup spicy?
We used “hot“ Italian sausage… Which does give this a subtle spicy kick, but you can substitute with medium or mild Italian sausage and make a less spicy version.
WHAT GOES INTO THIS SOUP AND WHY?:
- Browned, crumbled Italian sausage provides wonderful seasoning.
- fire-roasted tomatoes give you a mouthwatering flavor and adds texture.
- Spinach further add texture and nutrients(you could substitute kale, although it has a bit more carbs) zucchini mimics potatoes here, and you truly won’t miss them(and as an Idahoan, that’s saying a lot, LOL) You could substitute cauliflower if desired.
- Cream cheese brings an irresistible richness to the broth.
- Do not skip the fresh garlic. Garlic gives the broth incredible and authentic Italian flavor. Because you are sautéing it with the broth, it doesn’t overwhelm the soup.
- Finish with a sharp Parmesan cheese for depth of flavor.
CJ’S FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST:
I’m not much of a soup person, nothing wrong with soups I just don’t think about eating them. This soup was really flavorful and delicious! It smelled incredible and tasted even better, this only last for about 2 days and the addition of the pepper flakes and Italian sausage was nice. I was also surprised at how adding the zuchinni add a nice textural element to the dish. Sarah did a great job as usual. We hope you enjoy it.
Italian Sausage soup
- Cook your Italian sausage until browned. Add your chopped onion and garlic. Sauté briefly until soft
- Add your herbs and seasoning. Pour in 3 cups of broth. Add diced zucchini. Cover and allow to simmer.
- Add soft cream cheese to blender or food processer with remaining cup of chicken broth. Blend until combined.
- Pour into the soup.
- Add diced tomatoes and fresh spinach.
- Allow soup to simmer 20 minutes or longer for flavors to combine.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
- Serves 8 to 10
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto content that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends! If you haven’t already consider subscribing over on YouTube, we’d love to have you as part of our Keto Family.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.