If you love warm, baked cinnamon apples, and maple syrup doused waffles, then this is the recipe for you!
Apples and cinnamon are such a classic combination for waffles, that even Ego has marketed them.
But let’s face it, Homemade waffles take time….That’s where Superfat’s handy pancake mix comes in! Quick easy prep makes every day feel like the weekend. So good they even fool sugar-eaters, and picky kids.
Roses are red, the sky is blue, and apple pie is one of the best things on this planet. These are all things we know to be true with absolute certainty. Why, then, are people on Instagram doing crazy things like swapping out sweet, crunchy apples in their dessert recipes for … plain, porous zucchini?
a much less carb-filled healthy thing than most fruits —zucchini can be repurposed in so many ways, meaning it’s long been a low-carb favorite substitute.
When cooked down zucchini’s texture so much resembles cooked apples! That means the opportunities for zucchini desserts are endless. when I made zapple cobbler for the channel, It was youngest daughter’s favorite dessert to date. Zapple cobble, or any other dish using this preparation, will still be equal parts crunchy crumble and squishy insides.
So I got the great idea to use it as a waffle topping. Warm, fluffy keto waffles….yum, what could be better?
So you need to prepare you apple topping ahead of time, but it’s not a big deal. It took me 15 minutes tops. I’ve even prepared this ahead and frozen it.
- If you don’t want anyone to suspect that you are using zucchini instead of apples, make sure you peel off all of the green skin… You also want to use a spoon to scoop out all of the seeds before you cube your zucchini.
- Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar is really crucial here. This is what gives it a tart flavor that resembles apples. It’s magic!
- Lots of fresh spices are key…..AND reserved cinnamon and natural sweetener for dusting before and after! I buttered my waffles and sprinkled with the cinnamon and sweetener. Game changing….
CJ’S FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST:
These waffles were really tasty, I should know because I had 3 batches of these 2 in one day. I was impressed with how these waffles tasted and that they were not heavy on my stomach. These are super convenient to have around the house. The Brownie mix was good as well, it leaned a bit towards dark chocolate but I enjoy dark chocolate so really liked having them.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto content that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends! If you haven’t already consider subscribing over on YouTube, we’d love to have you as part of our Keto Family.
Keto Zapple Cinnamon Superfat Waffles
- waffle maker
- 1 zucchini large, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup water
- 3 TB lemon juice
- 2 TB brown sugar alternative
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 5 drops apple flavoring optional
- Peel, seed and chop your zucchini.
- In a saucepan place your prepared zucchini and water. Add lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Cover, Let simmer on medium low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until softened.
- Drain zucchini. add sweetener, flavor and spices. add to waffles as a topping. Enjoy
VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.