While growing up, my sisters and I would jokingly called my mom, the “cookie monster”….she has always loved cookies best of all the desserts.
She didn’t bake them often, but we had them in the house quite a bit during childhood. A favorite brand was Archway. They made an iced lemon cookie, that was slightly firm upon biting it, but then soft and chewy…I wanted to replicate something similar with this recipe, only keto of course!
My lemon cookies are soft and cakey cookies… Packed with big bold lemon flavor for all of you citrus lovers… They’re soft, chewy and bursting with fresh lemon flavor.
These easy lemon cookies pack a powerful lemon punch, they are soft and dense… Thick enough to sink your teeth into. Finding soft cookies can be difficult on the ketogenic lifestyle.
For robust lemon flavor, I used lemon three ways: extract(lemon oil) juice and zest.
Although there’s plenty of intense lemon flavor… Somehow it doesn’t overwhelm. These cookies are just sweet enough that you keep going back for more.
When I made a test batch, all of my daughters loved these and asked when I would be making them again – high approval from non-keto children. Izzy stated that I should call them “heavenly” cookies. Lol.
Reasons to love these cookies:
Easy to make
Packed with lemon flavor
Topped with tangy lemon glaze
Thoughts on ingredients:
- Almond & coconut flour combo: This provides the structure for your cookies so they don’t fall apart when you pick them up. To ensure that they turn out right, make sure to use the spoon and level method when measuring your flour. I also sifted my dry ingredients for even leavening.
- Baking Soda & cream of tarter: The baking soda helps to lift the cookies and the salt brings out the flavors. The cream of tarter helps with zing and fluffiness.
- Granulated natural sweetener: I love to use brown natural sweetener in cookie recipes whenever possible, but for these cookies you will only be using granulated sweetener(we’ll use confectioner’s sweetener for the glaze). The granulated sweetener allows the lemon flavor to really shine through, sweetens the cookies, and helps them stay soft.
- Eggs: To help bind the cookie dough together. Room temperature eggs are best to ensure that it mixes together properly in your dough.
- Lemon Juice & Zest: Fresh lemon juice is always best, but bottled should be fine here too. One medium lemon will yield about 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. I absolutely love using zest in recipes, it’s a total game changer.
- Lemon Extract: This helps to enhance the lemon flavor in these cookies even more! I love Lorann’s lemon oil, and I recommend their oils very often in my recipes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto content that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends! If you haven’t already consider subscribing over on YouTube, we’d love to have you as part of our Keto Family.
CJ’s Follow-up Taste Test:
These little lemon cookies were delicious and a nice treat! After making the video it felt like there was a lot to these cookies, but they are really easy to make and worth the effort. They lasted several days, and held up well. I think that you’ll like them, I certainly did.
Keto Soft Lemon Cookies
- silicone mat
- baking tray
- cookie scoop
- 1/3 cup powdered natural sweetener
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or half & half
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together almond and coconut flours, cream of tartar, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer, cream together the butter, sweetener, eggs, lemon zest, lemon extract, and lemon juice.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients and combine to form dough.
- Roll the individual cookies into 1-1 1/4" balls. Flatten balls slightly for desired shape and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Spread the glaze on the cooled cookies. Let stand until the glaze is set, about 10 minutes.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.