Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Sausage and peppers with onions. This is one of those classic Italian-American street food, lunch cart dishes.
Such a satisfying combo! Italian sausages cooked with bell peppers, sweet onions, meaty mushrooms, and garlic
This dish is typically made with a several different colors of bell peppers—usually one green, one red, and one either yellow, orange, or purple. That said, use whatever color bell peppers you like! If you don’t like a color, skip it and just use more of another color. I used red & green to mimic the Italian flag colors.
Why is it so good? Because I use a mix of Sweet and Hot Italian sausage. I love doing this combo because the mix of sweet and hot is just the right amount of flavor that doesn’t over power.
but if you want a milder dish, use only the sweet sausages and reduce the amount of chili pepper flakes in the recipe. Likewise, if you would like it spicier, use all hot sausages and/or bump up the amount of chili pepper flakes.
This hearty dish can be enjoyed on its own but you could also enjoy it with a salad. A simple green salad without an overpowering dressing. Coleslaw also pairs very well.
If you are making this as a family dish and enjoying it with people who also eat carbs, you could serve it along side bread like breadsticks dinner rolls pita bread garlic bread hot dog buns, use it as a filling in sandwiches you could put it in wraps or tortillas.
Two main things that make this so easy:
- It’s fried up in just one skillet
- It cooks in the oven-no babysitting necessary!
Mushrooms are one of my favorite vegetables(well, technically they’re a fungi)….. although I despised them as a child. I’m so glad that I’m a grown-up now. LOL. And this tasty casserole is one of my favorite ways to make them.
You can use white mushrooms if that’s all you can find… But I definitely love baby portobellos or Cremini mushrooms here, simply because they are very “meaty“ and add to the rich rustic flavor of this casserole.
CJ’S FOLLOW-UP TASTE TEST:
Well if you watched the video you know that I thought this was delicious! This type of dish was almost inherently keto without very few modification. I’m sure we used far less onion than someone doing keto would, just to keep the carbs lower and of course we used Keto friendly fats and oils. We also made sure that our sausage was very low in carbs, so those are tips to help you. There are a lot of dishes that can easily be made keto friendly with very few modifications. Keto doesn’t have to be hard–you got this!
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, if you haven’t already. We plan on releasing keto content that will be exclusive for blog subscribers. Also feel free to share this recipe with family and friends! If you haven’t already consider subscribing over on YouTube, we’d love to have you as part of our Keto Family.
Here is a companion blog post to get the best results from our Keto Quick Start Guide
Sausage & Peppers Casserole
- 10 oz. brown Cremini or portabella mushrooms washed and cut in thick slices
- 24 oz hot or mild pork Italian sausage
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thick strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut into thick strips
- 1 tsp. Italian herb blend
- 1 tsp. garlic bread Seasoning or use any all-purpose seasoning blend if you don’t have
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh basil optional
- 2 cups grated Mozzarella more or less as desired
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a large baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat a little olive oil in another large non-stick pan and start brown the sausage over medium-high heat, turning occasionally to brown on all sides. (If you’re using pre-cooked sausage you can skip this step and just cut sausage before you brown it.)
- Remove sausage to the casserole dish. Set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms peppers and onions in the reserved drippings of the sausage pan. Add a tablespoon of butter if necessary.
- Layer the peppers, onion, and the mushrooms in the baking dish. Sprinkle with desired amount of grated mozzarella.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until all ingredients are sizzling hot and the cheese is melted and nicely browned.
CJSKETOKITCHEN RECIPE SPOTLIGHT
In this section we try and highlight other recipes that might interest you. This week we decided to highlight another very popular and easy to make recipe:
VISIT OUR AMAZON STORE FOR SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS.
From time to time we will recommend products and services that we have used, and have found to be very good products or services. We may get a small percentage of a purchase you make, through one of the affiliate links that we included. Any payment we receive is paid to us by the company (not you). These small payments help us to continue to produce keto recipes and other content as we seek to spread the message about the Keto Diet and the health benefits of the keto lifestyle. Thank you for your support, it is appreciated.
CjsKetoKitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.